Saturday, March 10, 2012

Haiti and Kony and What's Important


I am leaving for Haiti tomorrow. I should be giddy or nervous or something, but I find that I'm more focused than anything. There are still some loose ends and this world just keeps moving. My plan was to have all clothes washed and put away, all dishes washed and put away, all bathrooms scrubbed, all floors cleaned, and everything dusted so the house won't (hopefully) be too gross for my kids and babysitter by Thurs or Fri, but clothes keep getting dirty and so do dishes and I've yet to keep all the toys off the floor, much less mop it. So, we will see how that all goes. Yes, life does not halt for my agenda I suppose. So, I'm just focused on getting done what I can. And there should be some focus on Haiti - like learning the language or fasting or something, but aside from some intentional prayer time, that's not as much of the case as I'd like it to be either. See, my family life is not the only thing that keeps going. The rest of the world does to. There are friends to see and homeschooling to do and news to read. And I'm finding my heart drawn towards the most recent wave of news - Kony.

I saw the video Wednesday afternoon and by Wednesday night, I had come across a blog criticizing Invisible Children. The blog post definitely got me upset, but the comments were just a bit outrageous. And there were a ton of them. American after American explaining why the video had too much of an Indie feel or justifying why we should just stay out of it or how Invisible Children spends money on salaries and transportation costs. Really? There are thousands of children getting abducted and raped and mutilated and turned into drug infested killing machines, and we want to debate traveling costs? Oiy. Yes, it is wise to research an organization before sending them money, but we can still spread the word without it costing a penny. I have a ton more to say about it, but the dirty sheets on my children's beds are beckoning me. So, I would encourage you to read this blog to give you something to think about. And if you haven't seen the Kony video yet, I would encourage you to watch it here and at the very least spread the word. And if you want to justify being a complacent American, I would like you to read this. And if you want to debate whether or not we should get involved, feel free to comment, but know that I will not reply for a week as I will be in Haiti, hopefully loving on our sweet sponsor children and making some new friends. And finally, if you'd like to pray for my trip and my family while I'm gone, please do!!! In the meantime, I will try to keep my focus on what's important - not the dishes and the sheets and the floors, but the people I get to minister to and the kids I get to meet and the lives I have the opportunity to impact. Maybe we should all try to keep our focus on what's important?


No comments:

Post a Comment